Steve has extensive and diverse trial experience. He has successfully taken cases to verdict involving construction disputes, product liability claims, personal injuries, insurance coverage, commercial transactions, and other matters. He has handled cases in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, Michigan, Montana, and Alaska.
Steve graduated magna cum laude (top 5%) from St. John’s University, earning his Bachelor of Arts in Government in 1992. He graduated in the Order of St. Ives (top 5%) from the University of Denver, earning his juris doctorate in 1995. Minnesota Law & Politics has included Steve in the Rising Stars® list in the legal profession numerous times. Steve has achieved the highest possible Martindale Hubbell rating for legal ability and adherence to ethical standards.
- Steve has handled major complex insurance coverage litigation involving claims of up to $300 million.
- He has handled hundreds of construction defect claims involving residential and commercial buildings.
- Steve has defended serious personal injury and wrongful death claims in excess of $1 million; he has obtained numerous personal injury defense verdicts.
- He obtained defense verdicts in complex product liability litigation.
- Steve has obtained favorable results in dozens of arbitration proceedings in personal injury, construction, and architects/engineers errors and omissions matters.
- University of Denver, J.D. Order of St. Ives, 1995
- St. John's University, B.A. (Government), magna cum laude, 1992
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- Antitrust Law
- Appellate Litigation
- Aviation Law
- Business Litigation
- Catastrophic Loss
- Class Actions
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Environmental and Pollution Law
- General Liability and Civil Litigation
- Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Managed Care Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Toxic Torts
- Wrongful Death
Awards and Honors:
- AV peer rated by Martindale Hubbell® (the highest rating available)
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law selected by American Lawyer Media
* Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review process that rates lawyers. Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.