John F. Thomas
John is a litigator who concentrates his practice in the area of Civil Litigation with an emphasis on construction litigation and products liability litigation. He also has considerable experience with asbestos defense and other personal injury and insurance defense matters.
John represents a large variety of clients, including large construction companies, international manufacturers, and other corporations and insurance companies. During his career, John has litigated hundreds of cases, argued numerous dispositive motions, and successfully argued at the Supreme Court of North Dakota.
Secured a Rule 12 dismissal of commercial property damage lawsuit against a national pest control vendor in the Northern District of Illinois based on federal venue statutes.
- Successfully pursued defense and indemnity claims for general contractor against subs to obtain defense costs and settlement in construction defect case with damage claim exceeding $20 million.
- Successfully defended negligence action brought against insurance agency both at district court level and on appeal before the Supreme Court of North Dakota.
- Successfully litigated and tried to verdict a creditor’s non-dischargeability fraud action against former investment advisor in Bankruptcy Court adversary proceeding.
- Successful pursuit of downstream contractors and insurers for indemnification and defense costs on behalf of general contractors. Represented farm owner in multi-million dollar bad faith insurance coverage dispute arising out of the destruction of farm and personal property.
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2011
- Xavier University, B.A., 2006
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- General Liability and Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury Defense
- Product Liability
- Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Professional Liability
- Toxic Tort
- The Rise of Modular Construction: Common Legal Issues (Minnesota Defense, Summer 2020)
- Professional Liability Law—Engineering Law and Ethics, Halfmoon Education (May 10, 2018)
- Keeping the Beetles Out of Our Food Products: A FIFRA Preemption Update (Minnesota Defense, Fall 2017)
- The Trial Lawyer’s Guide to Mandatory Arbitration Clauses (Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, May 24, 2017)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Defense Lawyers Institute (DRI)
- Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association (MDLA)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- North Dakota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association (HCBA)