Brian D. Steffes
Brian practices civil litigation with a focus on representing developers, contractors, and businesses. He litigates high exposure claims and complex cases in a broad range of areas, including: personal injury, construction defect, trucking liability, product liability, commercial litigation, and environmental claims. He is a successful trial attorney, who has obtained favorable jury verdicts and settlements. He has litigated matters throughout the country and is licensed in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. He is also a member of the Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association, Minnesota State Bar Association, Transportation Lawyers Association and Twin Cities Claims Association.
- Recently obtained $1,017,141 total judgment on behalf of a general contractor against a developer/owner on breach of contract following a week-long trial.
- Defended multiple general contractors and developers on numerous construction defect cases involving large-scale multi-family residences, apartments, mixed-use developments, including contractual indemnity and defense issues.
- Obtained $2.5 million judgment for a general contractor following a two-week jury trial, on a claim involving breach of a construction contract.
- Obtained Summary Judgment Dismissal of a Federal Court action involving environmental claims under RCRA and TSCA with allegations exceeding $14 million.
- Represented national construction company in complex construction defect defense involving multi-state litigation. Successfully attained very favorable settlement immediately prior to arbitration.
- Represented national trucking company in personal injury accident wherein plaintiff claimed a traumatic brain injury. Successfully obtained jury verdict at less than 10% of Plaintiff’s demand.
- Successfully defended Illinois trucking company to a favorable mediation resolution in personal injury accident wherein plaintiff claimed a traumatic brain injury and extensive future damages.
- Represented global corporation to advantageous settlement in relation to significant product defect claims.
- Defended youth football league against an action by a minor for an alleged traumatic brain injury.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in defense of a charity foundation involving a high exposure personal injury action.
- Obtained $204,866 judgment on behalf of stockholder against corporation and its principal owner on claims including fraud, misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
- University of Wisconsin, J.D., 2004
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., Cum Laude 2001
- Catastrophic Loss (Fires & Explosions)
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- General Liability and Civil Litigation
- Insurance Coverage and Litigation
- Personal Injury Defense
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability (Architects & Engineers)
- Professional Liability (Accountants & Attorneys)
- Toxic Torts/Diacetyl
- Environmental/Pollution (RCRA/TSCA Defense)
- Transportation Law
Awards and Honors:
- Named to the Super Lawyers List in 2020
- Named to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, & 2018
Publications and Presentations:
- Co-Author of Minnesota section in DRI’s Construction Litigation Desk Reference: A Fifty State Guide to Construction Litigation
- “Mediations: A Practical Guide to Balancing Clients’ Goals and the Process”
- Volunteer with Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid and Volunteer Lawyer’s Network